[nycbug-talk] lmsensors equiv. for *BSD?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Sep 5 20:15:03 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I've been looking around and haven't seen anything, but I thought I'd
check here...

Anyone seen anything like lmsensors for *BSD?  I've found healthd (spotty
on most of my hardware), x/mbmon (generally works), lmmon (really spotty).

While mbmon is mostly working out, what this and the other packages lack
is any integration with net-snmp.  I already gather stats and monitor most
server info via snmp which is very handy.  I noticed the
lmsensors+net-snmp packages on linux make all the system health info
available by default via snmp.

Any thoughts?  I suppose I could have snmpd fire off a script when certain
mibs are tickled, but I loathe reinventing the wheel.  I thought I saw
some talk long ago about a FreeBSD port of lmsensors, but could find no
further mention of that.  I have to imagine most large scale users like
the Yahoo! folks are doing something...  who would run a huge farm of BSD
boxes and not monitor something like a $10 CPU fan that could bring a
whole box down?

Thanks,

Charles