[nycbug-talk] Analyzing malicious SSH login attempts

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Wed Sep 13 13:25:22 EDT 2006

Hi All,

Some SSH food for thought,

On Sep 12, 2006, at 2:54 PM, csnyder wrote:

>> I think parsing logs and injecting rules is just plain ridiculous.
>> Especialy using 3rd party languages not native to your OS. Its just
>> more custom stuff to re-implement on the next os rebuild.
>
> Look, I know it's ridiculous, but it's also more portable (for now)
> than pf.

Forgive my possible naiveté, but how does any ssh/packet-filter
incorporation strategy really secure anything, big picture
(regardless of the implementation)?

What happens when ssh passwords come under distributed dictionary
attack by a botnet (many IP addresses)?  Wouldn't it render the
filter moot, and perhaps even create a resource attack as a side
effect of dynamically loading gargantuan filter rulesets?

What happens when an attacker spoofs the IP addresses you use, with
the effect of blocking you from your own systems?

--
Additionally, what happens when SSH itself meets it's inevitable zero-
day (could be tomorrow, could be 50 years from now)?  Doesn't any

I'm not lookin' to pick a flame-fight, I'm just discussing, and I
feel many packet-filter strategies give a false sense of security.
Convince me it's a sane strategy, and I'll likely go implement it
tomorrow :)

Rocket-
.ike