[nycbug-talk] BSD Chapter in HLE

Dru dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 15 14:09:57 EDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, michael wrote:

> strlcpy() and strlcat()
> Memory protection purify
>    * W^X
>    * .rodata segment
>    * Guard pages
>    * Randomized malloc()
>    * Randomized mmap()
>    * atexit() and stdio protection

Are you aware of any good (preferably "for dummies") URLs explaining these
and their benefits? http://www.openbsd.org/security.html isn't a good
reference for this book's target audience... And Theo's announcement email
on propolice (if you don't know what propolice is go back to kindergarten)
isn't useful either ;-)

You can get an idea of the audience (yup, it's not techy geeks, but it is
large) by taking a look at the free chapter for edition 2:

http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/samples/hlev2-chapter1.pdf

> Pseudo Random Number Generators

Hmmm, reminds me I should mention IPSec...

> authpf

Added.

> chroot!

Added

>> Additional BSD Resources
>>  	- URLs to FreeBSD Handbook, NetBSD Guide, OpenBSD Guide
>
> talk at nycbug [grin]

Perhaps the library:

http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Library

Too bad the SANS reading room doesn't have a BSD section...

Dru