[nycbug-talk] BSD Chapter in HLE

michael lists at genoverly.net
Fri Sep 15 14:16:49 EDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:09:57 -0400 (EDT)
Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, michael wrote:
>
> > strlcpy() and strlcat()
> > Memory protection purify
> >    * W^X
> >    * .rodata segment
> >    * Guard pages
> >    * Randomized malloc()
> >    * Randomized mmap()
> >    * atexit() and stdio protection
>

> Are you aware of any good (preferably "for dummies") URLs explaining
> these and their benefits? http://www.openbsd.org/security.html isn't
> a good reference for this book's target audience...

you caught me.. that is where I plucked it.  We have an OpenBSD
developer on the list.. Ray?  little help?

> Hmmm, reminds me I should mention IPSec...

ah, good catch.

> > talk at nycbug [grin]
>

> Perhaps the library:
>
> http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Library

I was kidding around.. but mentioning "your local user group" as a
resource, may be a good call.  I believe we have them on our Links page.

> Too bad the SANS reading room doesn't have a BSD section...
>
> Dru

Yea, we were trying to 'round out' our offerings as a user group.
BTW [shameless plug] everyone is welcome to add to the Library!

--

Michael