[nycbug-talk] laptop?

Josh McCormack joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com
Wed Sep 20 16:46:44 EDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Jeff Quast <af.dingo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/20/06, Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com> wrote:
> > On Wed 2006.09.20 at 09:12 -0400, Josh McCormack wrote:
> > > Anyone have a USB floppy or CD drive I could borrow, or want to help
> > > me do the PXE booting?
> >
> > also consider a usb key.
> >

> Or a laptop 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter. About $2-$5, probobly can
> find it localy. Install it as if it were its own local disk on a
> desktop machine, then swap it back into the laptop.
>
> Of course, windows will puke on this, but any BSD would purr along
> happily inside a completely different machine provided it is the same
> architecture (i386)
>
> Worse case, you might have to boot bsd.rd and modify /etc/fstab with
> ed if your hard drive isn't installed using wd0 on the desktop
> machine.

My continuing attempt at making my laptop dual boot with preinstalled XP.
I got my hands on a USB floppy drive and a box of floppies. I found a
NTFS resizing program that can run off a floppy (ntfsresize), once a
Linux environment is up. I've tried a bunch of floppy distros, but
half of them aren't writing to the floppies do to bad sectors, the
other half won't be read by the other computer b/c of bad sectors (I/0
errors).

I've tried:
lepton
smart
alcolix

can't figure out how to make one from tomsrtbt from XP.

Can I run ntfsresize from the OpenBSD floppy install shell? It's
staticly linked, so I thought perhaps, but honestly I can't even
figure out how to mount the floppy from the shell.

ntfsresize: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#static

Josh