[nycbug-talk] 64Bit FreeNAS

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Sep 28 14:52:20 EDT 2006

> Hi Pete,
>
> On Sep 28, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Peter Wright wrote:
>
>> Hi, Has anyone had any success building a 64Bit version of
>> FreeNAS.  We
>> are trying to do some testing with large memory filers here and are
>> not
>> having much luck with PAE kernel's at this point.  Just checking
>> the list
>> to see if anyone has gone this route before I go and build a 64bit
>> kernel/world.
>>
>> thanks!
>> -pete
>
> Not sure how much experience you've had with FreeNAS, but because
> it's heavily based on the m0n0wall project code, (and user
> conventions), I've tried giving it a whirl- and wanted to mention it
> when I spoke on m0n0wall/pfSense.
>
> I didn't mention it, because on several *very different* x86
> machines, I had serious issues getting it to boot cleanly- let alone
> serve data- so I've shoved it into the 'beta' stack in my brain.
> I could have made some foolish mistake, but I tried this on different
> locations, with current disk images several months apart- same cruddy
> boot issues.
>
> I'd LOVE to hear if anyone has had any good experiences with
> FreeNAS...  It seems to be a great drop-in solution for network data
> storage, just like m0n0wall and pfSense.

right on, i'm going to give it a whirl.  i've read through the docu, and
most of the scripts and i should be able to build a 64bit version - but
i'll most likely have to dedicate a host to build the kernel/world.

we've actually had good performance using freenas for NFSv3 serving.  we
are in the process of building memfs volumes to be used to cache
data...hence we need to be able to access ~16gig's of ram per node.  i'll
reply to the list with success/problems in a bit.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright