[nycbug-talk] File Backed Disks- Speed Issues

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Thu Sep 28 23:32:47 EDT 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 11:21 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>
>> on a tangent...
>>
>> OSX has  a neat tool called iPartition
>> 	http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php
>>
>> something like that, under freebsd, would probably solve your issues.
>
> Well, HECK YEAH, that actually would solve my problems.  Does anyone
> know if there's any historical attempt at flexible partition changes
> to a disk, and how successful it was?
>
> This has to have been a problem people have tackled since the
> earliest disk drives... Right?

Well, yeah.  Unfortunately, it's a problem that there aren't a whole
lot of good solutions for, AFAIK.  LVM under linux addresses some of
this issue, but has some serious flaws in its current
implementation.  I've used gparted to good effect previously, I
believe it supports UFS/UFS2, but I don't remember off the top of my
head.

--Dave