[nycbug-talk] ZFS committed to FreeBSD base. - iSCSI

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Sat Apr 7 15:51:15 EDT 2007

    jc> I was messing around and was using the NetBSD code on OpenBSD
    jc> for iSCSI. Totally worked. WAs very simple...

this is the NetBSD iSCSI target, right?  not an initiator?  meaning,
it offers iSCSI disks to other machines?  I was wondering if FreeBSD
can mount iSCSI disks off other machines.

Long-term I want a machine with ZFS and a good iSCSI initiator, so
that I can:

 1. build ZFS pools with more disks than I can fit on a single
    motherboard

 2. make vdev stripes across several chassis so I can power down a
    whole tower case without taking the pool offline

 3. cluster the work of geli/cgd/dmcrypt across several CPUs

I think it's good to use iSCSI rather than geom-gate or nbd because
from watching mailing lists, it sounds like the iSCSI guys are more
aggressive about getting tagged queueing, SYNCHRONIZE CACHE, and other
weird SCSI commands to work in a precisely correct way that won't
corrupt fancy RAIDs and filesystems.

I'm not sure they're there yet, though.  The iSCSI initiator in
Solaris Nevada b44 is not good.  It panics the kernel when an iSCSI
target that's in use disappears, and sometimes when Linux IET reboots
I need to 'iscsiadm discovery-address remove <ip>; iscsiadm
discovery-address add <ip>' before it'll work again.  but I think
there is actually source code for it---kind of rare for big chunks of
``open''solaris.