[nycbug-talk] fetchmail pointers

Andy Michaels lego at therac25.net
Fri Apr 20 23:38:26 EDT 2007

Hi peter!  I'm currently using the uw-imapd server combined with
fetchmail for my home mail.  The setup is quite simple:

client (running Apple Mail) ----> server running imapd and fetchmail
-----> internet

the server in the middle runs fetchmail and the mail is delivered to
that local user's inbox (mbox format).  by default, the imap server
uses the user's inbox as the imap inbox.

The biggest drawback is the delay inherent in this setup.  Fetchmail
runs every 30 seconds, and checks 2 accounts (one with my old ISP and
one with my own domain).  It's really not a big deal for me, but I know
some people want instant notice of mail arriving :)

Installing fetchmail and imapd on your mac will probably work just
fine.  Although you could also enable imap on the exchange server.

Anyway, I'd be glad to provide you with more details.

-Andy