[nycbug-talk] fetchmail pointers

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Mon Apr 23 17:02:05 EDT 2007

* Peter Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> [2007-04-23 09:11:04 -0700]:
> > I believe you can configure fetchmail to delete the message from the
> > server after it's been fetched so you don't have duplicate mails.
>
> yea - figured as much.  for testing i've been *very* careful not to
> delete my messages :)

FYI, read the fetchmail section on this page:

    http://people.ubuntu-in.org/~ghoseb/esr.html

Choice quotes:

        Not that fetchmail is much to boast about in itself. A real Unix
        hacker has called it, among other things, an abomination before
        God. Fortunately, there's a simple replacement [ Now hosted at
        http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/ ]. Ironically, it's written
        in ESR's latest craze, python.

It goes on to explain why getmail is better than fetchmail.

(Full disclosure: I've been using getmail for a couple of years now, but
I've not used fetchmail before.)

Worth a look in any case.

Thomas