[nycbug-talk] BSD Embedded Solutions for Commodity Home Routers

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Aug 10 00:43:29 EDT 2007

> Greets folks.
>
> By now, most of us have heard about projects like OpenWRT, Sveasoft and
> other Linux
> solutions for running embedded on commodity home routers, like the
> infamous
> Linksys
> WRT54G.  I haven't heard of any equivelent BSD offerings, and the most
> I've
> found
> through Web searches has been "WifiBSD", which doesn't appear to have seen
> activity
> since 2005.  Do there really exist no solutions in this space?  If there
> are, anyone have
> practical experience w/ them?

these are the two that i believe are most popular:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/
http://www.pfsense.org/

i'm personally more familiar with m0n0wall, this would probably be most
helpful for you:
http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/hardware-wireless.html

it has captive portal etc and works great with Soekris machines.  pfsense
- as the name implies - uses the OpenBSD pf packet filter.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright