[nycbug-talk] mx record to domain name look up

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Dec 17 08:31:19 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 01:07:12AM -0500, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I am looking for a site/tool that given a FQDN will provide all the
> domains registered that use that as a mx record for their domain.

Normally I use dig and whois

ruben at flatbush:~> dig mx mrbrklyn.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> mx mrbrklyn.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mrbrklyn.com.                  IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mrbrklyn.com.           86400   IN      MX      10 www2.mrbrklyn.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mrbrklyn.com.           86400   IN      NS      www2.mrbrklyn.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
www2.mrbrklyn.com.      86400   IN      A       68.167.17.98

;; Query time: 18 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.0.5#53(10.0.0.5)
;; WHEN: Mon Dec 17 08:30:10 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 81

ruben at flatbush:~>  whois mrbrklyn.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: MRBRKLYN.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: MAIL.RM-CPA.COM.LAMEDELEGATION.COM
   Name Server: WWW2.MRBRKLYN.COM
   Updated Date: 02-oct-2006
   Creation Date: 17-mar-2000
   Expiration Date: 17-mar-2008

>>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:29:44 UTC <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration.....

Registrant:
SAFIR, RUBEN
   NYLXS
   1163 East 15th Street
   BROOKLYN, NY 11230-6710
   US

   Domain Name: MRBRKLYN.COM

   Promote your business to millions of viewers for only $1 a month
   Learn how you can get an Enhanced Business Listing here for your domain name.
   Learn more at http://www.NetworkSolutions.com/

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      SAFIR, RUBEN              ruben at mrbrklyn.com
      NYLXS
      1163 East 15th Street
      BROOKLYN, NY 11230-6710
      US
      1 718 715 1771 fax: 123 123 1234

   Record expires on 17-Mar-2008.
   Record created on 17-Mar-2000.
   Database last updated on 17-Dec-2007 08:30:26 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   WWW2.MRBRKLYN.COM            68.167.17.98
   MAIL.RM-CPA.COM              64.0.231.98