[nycbug-talk] Fw: Extreme mobile BSD

Yusuke Shinyama yusuke at cs.nyu.edu
Sat Dec 22 00:48:16 EST 2007

Hi Miles,

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:31:25 -0500, Miles Nordin <carton at Ivy.NET> wrote:
(snip)

> I'm pointing out the other tools are un-BSDish.  That's their relevant
> characteristic, and it's on topic, while you make it sound like open
> tools are some whimsical personal choice of mine.  They're not, not on
> this list.

I certainly don't wanna pour more oil onto the flame, but I'm
curious about what do you mean by "BSDish" in this context, and
how it's different from, say, "Unixy"?  I'm guessing you mean
the openness, but not every Unix is so open as *BSD, and
Linux has this kind of openness too.

I'd like to think the heart of the unixy principle is KISS,
and I really love this maxim (which I think is applicable to
all sorts of engineering), but it does not necessarily
coincide with the openness (although it generally does),
and this principle does not always characterize the current
development of *bsd. (Well, in fact, it seems to me that
almost every software project is going against this!)

Just attempting to cheer up an interesting discussion...

Yusuke