[nycbug-talk] Soekris/Wireless Recommendations

Michael Hernandez mhernandez at ocsny.com
Wed Feb 21 07:16:15 EST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 2:21 AM, Jonathan C. Allen wrote:

> I want to replace my home wireless router with a Soekris box
> most likely running monowall.  Anyone have hardware recommendations
> for this?

You can look around on netgate.com for some supported wireless cards
and antennae.

One thing you should be warned about in regards to a soekris box is
that you should NOT get a "vpn" card. These "hardware crypto
acceleration" cards do nothing but break ssh connections whenever
they are used, at least with openbsd. I suggest you look at the
soekris list archives and search for vpn1411... you'll find that
quite a few users got this card thinking it would improve things but
instead found the contrary.

The soekris box you choose depends... I suggest not getting one with
a pci slot - it's really not very useful and there are many mini-pci
cards that handle the wireless work just fine.

Mike H