[nycbug-talk] Traffic shaping a cable internet connection

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Fri Jan 12 11:53:15 EST 2007

Hello all,

I am working on setting up bandwidth limiting for my cable modem
connection to help keep latency down but I don't know my actual upload
limit. iftop has peaked as high as 1mb/s but the average seems to be
closer to 500-700kb/s. I'm not sure if I would be better off setting the
limit a little low like 600 and sacrificing a little bandwidth to
hopefully reduce latency or if I should just set it to 1mb/s or so and
hope it works out right that way? Anyone know anywhere better to ask?

Thank you,
Jonathan