[nycbug-talk] bsd is really the gpl, on grok law

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Tue Jan 16 16:22:21 EST 2007

Hi All,

On Jan 15, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

>> I have just skimmed parts but he seems to say that bsd licence is
>> really very gpl like:
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070114093427179
>>
>> If I read this right he needs his medication ajusted,
>
> Already seen it.  Concluded: the author wants to make a name for
> himself and has chosen to take a controversial stance.  He'll fall
> over. It has no logs.

There's holes all over this paper, however, let me point out that
folks like this tend to miss small details:

"Open source licenses have been subject to little judicial scrutiny
to date."

Um,
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bsdi/bsdisuit.html

--
It's just been getting me angry lately, the hubris GPL people operate
with, like we all just invented this stuff last week...

--
I agree with Dan, the author is just a lawyer trying to make a buzz-
and is blinded by the idea of western capitalism, like most Business-

Brendan Scott:
http://www.opensourcelaw.biz/

Rocket-
.ike