[nycbug-talk] bsd is really the gpl, on grok law

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Tue Jan 16 16:48:40 EST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> I agree with Dan, the author is just a lawyer trying to make a buzz-
> and is blinded by the idea of western capitalism, like most Business-
> turned-OSS people, looking at the world through GPL colored glasses,
> dollar signs in the eyes...  Snakeoil distribution is simply now
> picking up in the legal marketplace, nothing to get exited about.

Just to add -- this is an Australian LAWYER'S OPINION
its not based on US or UK / EU law.  He even notes that (though it
could be ' profitably applied' )

in any event, note the two capitalized words above:
	OPINION -- ie, its not fact.
	LAWYER's -- ie, someone hired to advocate a position and find a way
to make it legally compelling.

Sure, a lawyer can make a good argument that the BSD==GPL.  I bet he
could also make just as compelling an argument as the opposite.
Lawyers are neat like that, they make shit up and then figure out a
way to make agree with it.  The great thing about them is that half
the time they're right and the other half they're wrong.

it'll be interesting to see what his nemesis- probably the guy he
competed with at law school on 'who has the biggest dick, er, i mean
ego' content - decides to come up with as a response.

// Jonathan Vanasco