[nycbug-talk] NYCBSDCon 2007 status

James Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Tue Jul 10 20:52:41 EDT 2007

> Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:46:49 -0400
> From: George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
> Subject: [nycbug-talk] NYCBSDCon 2007 status
> To: NYCBUG <talk at lists.nycbug.org>
>
> [snip]

> New York is a difficult place to find inexpensive space, particularly
> after 9/11 and the real estate boom.  Manhattan real estate
> continues to
> boom and conference space fees do not soften.
>
> We have one more university that we are waiting on for a response
> to our
> application. . . We should know the answer by the end of the month.
>
> However, if that space does *not* work out, we will be postponing
> NYCBSDCon to 2008.  We already to have push the conference further to
> the end of the year.  Any longer would be too long.  We can't even
> do a
> call for papers until we have a space, so it just wouldn't be
> plausible
> to have the conference this year.
>
> And now it comes to *your* role.
>
> If anyone has any leads to decent conference space that would work for
> NYCBSDCon, please let me know offlist.

I will be very eager to hear of any success on your part in this
matter.  For several years I've been trying to think about how the
local Perl community might stage YAPC (Yet Another Perl Conference)
here -- or even a more modest affair like a weekend hackathon.  No
bright ideas so far!

In any event, I enjoyed the 2005 NYCBSDCon and hope to attend the
next one, whenever/wherever that might be.

Jim Keenan