[nycbug-talk] What's cooking in FreeBSD 7?

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at f2o.org
Mon Mar 5 13:37:20 EST 2007

Searching around for some of the new features that are in -CURRENT, I
found this very handy site that is frequently updated with some of
the more interesting features being developed and will hopefully make
their way into FreeBSD 7.

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd7.html

Some of the things I am really excited about are:

* DTrace (http://people.freebsd.org/~jb/dtrace/)
DTrace is Sun's advanced diagnostic tool and language for operating
systems. It's currently being ported to FreeBSD with the intention to
make it an official feature.
This is mostly a developer tool, useful to track down bugs and
performance defficiencies, but can also be used (and in the same way)
by advanced system administrators.

I had the opportunity to play with DTrace on production Solaris
machines, and found it a very valuable tool to debug exactly what
your application is doing under a real world workload.

* gvirstor (http://wikitest.freebsd.org/gvirstor)
Gvirstor is a GEOM storage class that provides a storage device of
arbitrary size in "overcommit" mode (i.e. larger than physically
available storage). Providers can be added to the virstor device on-
line (while used, e.g. mounted), and removed if unused and at the end
of the list of components.

In a nutshell, if you have a 200gig disk, with a dataset that will
eventually grow to 400gigs, you simply create a 400gig partation.
 From userland, you will see 400gigs of usable space despite the fact
the underlaying disk is only 200gigs. When your data starts to get
around 200gigs, you pop in a second 200gig hard drive and your all
set. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Provisioning for a
little more detail.

* ZFS
Sun's ZFS is in the process of being ported to FreeBSD, with the
intention of offering most (or all) features found in the original
implementation. It's integrated with FreeBSD's existing features like
UFS and GEOM, thus offering the possibility of creating FreeBSD UFS
file systems on ZFS volumes, and using GEOM providers to host ZFS
file systems. ZFS is an advanced file system with many interesting
features built-in: snapshots, copy-on-write, dynamic striping and
RAID5, up to 128-bit file system size, and globally optimal I/O
sorting and aggregation.

SK