[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD software RAID?

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Mar 7 18:03:12 EST 2007

> On Mar 7, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>

>> Is there a preferred software raid on FreeBSD ?
>
> GEOM - See Chapter 19 of the FreeBSD handbook for additional information
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-
> vinum.html
>

>> If so, what is the stability?  The only thing i found is vinum, and
>> it seems to be stagnant for the past 3 years.
>
> There are actually two versions of vinum.
>
> "Classic" vinum - which which can do all RAID levels, but not using
> GEOM. It appeared in FreeBSD 5, and it is not considered stable.
>   GEOM Vinum - A rewrite of vinum using GEOM. It provides most of of
> functionality of classic, but still seems to be horribly under
> documented.
>
> If you are doing RAID-1, take a look at GEOM Mirror, which is
> considered stable enough to run in production. More information can
> be found in Chapter 18.4 of the handbook

most RAID levels seem to be implemented in GEOM if I am not mistaken
(gmirror, gstripe and graid3 come to mind off the top of my head).  these
are actively supported and the man pages should be adequate.  i believe
RAID5 is achieved under GEOM via vinum still.  the man pages for both geom
and vinum should be helpful there.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~