[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD software RAID?

Kit Halsted kit at kithalsted.com
Wed Mar 7 23:36:34 EST 2007

I desperately need to upgrade one of my ancient OpenBSD servers. I
would like to have RAID, but last I checked RAIDframe's rebuild rates
made it unsuitable for a real-world environment. I'm having trouble
with the Adaptec 2400 IDE RAID card I have lying around, so I decided
on a different option today: I picked up a MegaRAID 795 IDE RAID card
on eBay. It only does 0, 1, & 10, but it does do hot spares. Since I
want RAID 1 with 1 hot spare & 1 cold spare, it's perfect for me. $8
shipping, $4.95 purchase price. Woohoo!

Cheers,
-Kit

<...>