[nycbug-talk] AsiaBSDCon!!!!

Yusuke Shinyama yusuke at cs.nyu.edu
Sat Mar 10 00:02:29 EST 2007

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 22:52:30 -0500, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> I haven't been, but to me the most interesting thing is the 'tech
> ghetto' Akihabara.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara
>
> Full of crazy gadgets for soldering or plugging into your USB port. . .

Akihabara has changed a lot. It used to be the place where
ubergeeks get together, but recently the town has been turned into
more like a anime/hentai palace for the mildly perverted.  Lots of
nice stores has closed or moved and bizarre business is coming
up at the sites. cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay_restaurant

As for BSD-wise topics, Japan has been long time a BSDish country.
I remember FreeBSD was actually much more popular than Linux about
10 yrs ago, mainly because of the very nicely done FreeBSD port
for PC-98 series.

> It sounds like it's worth the 18 hour flight itself.

It's about 13 hours or so, I guess. But every time I go back to
Japan I feel it's painfully long. I ended up with finishing all
the sudokus on the magazine and still 10 or so hours left in my
hand...

Yusuke