[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD USB debug info

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Mar 14 23:21:22 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm (trying) to help one of the NUT (http://www.networkupstools.org)
developers squash some bugs, get friendly with FreeBSD, and get support
for a TrippLite USB UPS here.

He's making some excellent progress...  I was digging around the uhid.c
source on FreeBSD 6.2 and saw some #defines for debugging.  This would
probably help him a whole lot.  Example:

#ifdef USB_DEBUG
#define DPRINTF(x)      if (uhiddebug) logprintf x
#define DPRINTFN(n,x)   if (uhiddebug>(n)) logprintf x
int     uhiddebug = 0;
SYSCTL_NODE(_hw_usb, OID_AUTO, uhid, CTLFLAG_RW, 0, "USB uhid");
SYSCTL_INT(_hw_usb_uhid, OID_AUTO, debug, CTLFLAG_RW,
            &uhiddebug, 0, "uhid debug level");
#else
#define DPRINTF(x)
#define DPRINTFN(n,x)
#endif

I don't see anything in NOTES about this.  How do you build this
particular driver/module with USB_DEBUG defined?  Just a "-DUSB_DEBUG=1"
on a "make buildkernel"?  Also, would it be possible to just build the
uhid module without rebuilding the whole kernel?  I think he's got a
fairly slow box for FBSD and I'd like to make this experience as painless
as possible...

Thanks,

Charles