[nycbug-talk] IPv6 in Japan

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu Mar 22 00:00:59 EDT 2007

Hi All,

So after Tokyo, as I process the overload, there's one special thing
that I've brought back, that I'm now consumed by:

IPv6 (in America).

---------------------
---------------------
Here's 4 reasons why:

1) MORE SCARY STATS (reality check?):
Jun Murai gave an amazing talk titled "BSD for the Internet, the
Internet for BSD".  In the talk, he discussed the following slide:

http://diversaform.com/asiabsdcon2007/index-Pages/Image128.html

IPv4 netblocks:
/8 = 16,777,214 usable addresses
Approx. 50 /8 remaining
Approx. 10 /8 consumed annually

That means IANA predicts complete IPv4 pool exhaustion July, 2011.
Noteworthy, the US is cited as the largest annual consumer of IPv4
addresses.
This email is being written in 2007, the first NYC*BUG meeting was
what, 3 + years ago?

Regardless of weather or not it pans out according to the predicted
graph, it's inevitable we're all going to hit a wall eventually in
America.

2) HUMBLING EXPERIENCES:
Wifi hotspots in Tokyo gave me problems.  OK, so finding an open AP
was simple- it's an understatement to say Tokyo is totally wired...
However, I had serious problems connecting to my systems in NY,
because many WiFi hotspots gave me IPv6 routes!  I was totally typing
all thumbs!  Sitting there with my mac, I had no clue how to find DNS
servers- let alone tunnel to my networks back home, on the IPv4
internet.

All I could think to do was use ping6 and traceroute6 to confirm I
really was touching IPv6 router(s).

That was truly humbling- and somehow really titillating at the same
time.

Not only can you get real IPv6 internet to your home, you can get
100mbit connections to your home for approximately $80usd/mo.  Makes
me want to cry.

3) NNT Do Co Mo:
The Japanese wireless telephone company, to my understanding after
various IPv6 lectures at AsiaBSDCon, uses an IP backbone- an IPv6
backbone, to be precise.  The Japanese networks are therefore
exremely modular, scalable, adaptable, and use open standard
infrastructure.  Wow.

The end result is that everyone uses the internet from their
cellphone without thinking it's special.  I mean, we use the internet
from our phones too, but even a search engine homepage takes about 90
seconds to load on my Cingular/At&T phone- unusable.
Their phones look more like personal computing to me.  They listen to
their music on their phones, (instead of buying music from their
phone company)- I mean Do Co Mo really seems to be focused on
everything our US telcos are not: providing solid infrastructure for
people to use- (as opposed to focusing on selling content to customers).

4) BSD, Kame stack:
So, as it's widely understood by many of us, and repeated in all the
IPv6 related talks at the conference, the Kame project for an IPv6
network stack, was led by the BSD developers in Japan.  With that,
*BSD is everywhere in Japan, on all scales- from embedded gear to
satellites and network backbones.

--------------------
--------------------
Returning to America,

it all felt like some kind of dream.  Back to the old grind of
running *BSD in a Windows and Linux dominated IT market.  Back to an
IT workplace where Cingular has root on my cellphone- and that phone
has little meaningful connection to the rest of my IT world.

Back to IPv4, back to ADSL in Brooklyn.  Back to 5mbps at my colo
facility.  Back to T1 speeds at client offices.  Well, at least I
know how to get DNS servers.

But I'm depressed.  I'm exited.  I'm depressed.  I'm exited!

I'm going to do something about it...  Anyone want to dive in
headfirst with me?

Rocket-
.ike