[nycbug-talk] IPv6 in Japan

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Fri Mar 23 08:21:20 EDT 2007

Word Pete,

On Mar 22, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Peter Wright wrote:

> <snip>
>> IPv4 netblocks:
>> <snip>
>> That means IANA predicts complete IPv4 pool exhaustion July, 2011.
>
> I remember seeing similar, startling, statistics at the first bsdcans'
> KAME talk.  glad to see that the progression has not changed at
> least ;)
> did he talk about any of side effects of an ipv6 world...i remember
> thinking about living in a world w/o NAT and getting pretty excited...

And scary-fun!
I know NAT isn't any way to secure a network, but lets face it- most
of the US office, home, and other networks are all trivially
protected by NAT.
So with this new network world, comes new responsibilities in
securing network software, on all levels of the stack...

As I see it, packet filtering becomes fundamentally important in a
whole new way as we proceed.  It needs to become simpler to manage,
and integrated better into 'home' products IMHO.

>> 2) HUMBLING EXPERIENCES:
>> Wifi hotspots in Tokyo gave me problems.  OK, so finding an open AP
>> was simple- it's an understatement to say Tokyo is totally wired...
>> However, I had serious problems connecting to my systems in NY,
>> because many WiFi hotspots gave me IPv6 routes!  I was totally typing
>> all thumbs!  Sitting there with my mac, I had no clue how to find DNS
>> servers- let alone tunnel to my networks back home, on the IPv4
>> internet.
>>
>> All I could think to do was use ping6 and traceroute6 to confirm I
>> really was touching IPv6 router(s).
>>
>> That was truly humbling- and somehow really titillating at the same
>> time.
>>
>> Not only can you get real IPv6 internet to your home, you can get
>> 100mbit connections to your home for approximately $80usd/mo.  Makes
>> me want to cry.
>>

> wow - that's pretty wicked.  so if i understand ipv6 correctly
> (which i
> most likely do not) you get a publicly routable IPv6 addr from
> these wifi
> hotspots right.  hmm...now i can see why there has been some
> pushback, or
> inaction at least, from many western IT vendors.  i surprised that
> OSX had
> problems getting things going...i always suspected that the
> paradigm shift
> would be under the surface of the os - not on the user end.

I *believe* what happened to me was that my machine gave itself an
IP, and the router advertisements my machine called for gave me
routers (DHCP is gone, autoconfiguration is part of the spec, right...)

With that, the problem I had was getting DNS servers- which I didn't
figure out.  (Even if I had, I'm not sure what I would have tried to
resolve?)  Getting to my servers (via ssh), and checking email, which
was my objective at that moment- was totally out of the question
without some kind of 4->6->4 tunnel, which again, I was at a loss to
figure out.

Like I said, humbling!

>> 3) NNT Do Co Mo:
>> The Japanese wireless telephone company, to my understanding after
>> various IPv6 lectures at AsiaBSDCon, uses an IP backbone- an IPv6
>> backbone, to be precise.  The Japanese networks are therefore
>> exremely modular, scalable, adaptable, and use open standard
>> infrastructure.  Wow.
>
> well, i'd assume that most backbone carriers use a standards based
> architecture.  i mean that's one reason standards are published
> right, so
> high capacity carriers can interact and not have to reinvent the wheel
> right?  it's not like the verizon is using decnet while quest is
> using IP
> on their backbones - shoot maybe they are, that'd explain a lot ;)
>
> <snipped>

Er, well, I may be speaking incorrectly here, (this is beyond my
scope of expertise), but it seems their IP infrastructure reaches all
the way down to last-mile distribution, which US telephony does not-
(CDMA, 3G, we do a lot of different things- each carrier has
competing proprietary networking).

Their IP infrastructre allows them to do bizzare flexible things with
the network data- like their in-car navigation services, or mobile
phone networks intermingling with internet services, etc...

I need to do more research to get my facts straight though.

>> 4) BSD, Kame stack:
>> So, as it's widely understood by many of us, and repeated in all the
>> IPv6 related talks at the conference, the Kame project for an IPv6
>> network stack, was led by the BSD developers in Japan.  With that,
>> *BSD is everywhere in Japan, on all scales- from embedded gear to
>> satellites and network backbones.
>>

> yea it's pretty awesome for sure.  one thing that's really suprised
> me is
> how much BSD code i've run into when working with various storage
> vendors
> - we are everywhere :)

:)

>> I'm going to do something about it...  Anyone want to dive in
>> headfirst with me?
>>

> heh you've sold me...

Yay!!!

Objective: see you on IPv6 irc, (once we get the server up?)

Rocket-
.ike