[nycbug-talk] IPv6 NY-US Roll Call

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Fri Mar 23 08:43:51 EDT 2007

Hi All,

On Mar 22, 2007, at 6:44 PM, Peter Wright wrote:

>> Is there any other advantage to IPv6 other than virtually unlimited
>> addresses?  Not that I am trivializing that fact.
>>

> well, some would argue that the address space would be a big enough
> gain
> on it's own...here's a list of some other nifty features:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6#Features_of_IPv6
>
> my two favorites:
> ipsec intergration into the base stack

HECK YEAH.  While listing to MSF speak about IPSEC application
weaknesses at AsiaBSDCon, (picking on raccoon, ike, userland, apis
etc...)- a simple thing *snapped* in my brain:

IPSEC isn't just for encrypted tunnels, tunnelling was merely the
first good application of IPSEC.

IPSEC can be written into any network application, and *could*
largely replace things like ssl/tls alltogether.  IPSEC advantage
over ssl/tls is complete transport layer, packet-level crypto- as
opposed to application-layer crypto...

> stateless autoconfiguration of hosts

DHCP, farewell.
I'm still confused about how to get DNS Servers though...  (but
historically, this was a band-aid hack idea to DHCP that stuck-
because it worked...)

Rocket-
.ike