[nycbug-talk] IPv6 NY-US Roll Call

Chris Buechler nycbug at chrisbuechler.com
Fri Mar 23 17:45:48 EDT 2007

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Sadly I also noticed that pfsense does not support v6 at this point...
> That will make trying to do this at home more fun.

Yeah, almost no demand for it (I think one person has requested it,
making it probably the only thing to ever be requested that's only been
less than a half dozen times, to give you an idea of the relative
unpopularity), plus none of the developers have access to any IPv6
connectivity. It would be a lot of work to support v6 because the IP
validation and numerous other portions of the GUI would have to be
modified to properly support v6. Don't expect to see it anytime soon, at
least not done by any of the current developers. There's a long list of
things that a huge number of people would benefit from that'll be taken
care of before v6 is even considered. It'll be at least 2-3 years before
it's looked at with any intent of being supported.

Unfortunate, but there are way too many other areas that could use
improvement to consider focusing on something a minuscule fraction of a
percent of the Internet could use.

cheers,
-Chris