[nycbug-talk] routing to spaces smaller than /24 (was Re: (I hate IPv6!))

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Mar 23 18:17:16 EDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> Most networks are tiered and layered, thus that border routers with
> multiple full BGP feeds will have 256Mb+ to accommodate without prefix
> size restrictions, but internal reflectors (customer connecting ones) do
> not.
a) nobody accepts anything longer than /24 (from non-customers - for
example, if you are a customer, you may announce /28 to your carrier, but
it won't propagate to anyone else on the interwebs)

b) internal reflectors do not connect customers

c) edge routers ("customer-connecting ones") best have full route tables
otherwise you, the customer, will have partial view of internet.

-alex