[nycbug-talk] memory and cpu question on a new setip

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Mar 30 11:20:47 EDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:23:17PM -0400, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 4:35 PM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>
> > There are things like "PCI bounce areas", or areas used for AGP
> > buffers.
> > You can generally get to 3.5G by changing video memory/AGP aperture.
> > Occasionally, if you are lucky, you can get 3.7G.
>
> ah.  i'm at 3.5 now.  3.7 would be great.
>
> > However, to get full 4G, I would suggest x64 kernel. I'm not sure
> > if PAE
> > will fix the "PCI reserved areas" issue.
>
> > Uh, that message says SMP *did* work. It detected two CPUs.
> > No, two cores for all purposes means two CPUs.
> > Why do you say "wouldn't boot"? What was the error?
> it just hanged on a blank screen
>
> but i tried installing it again, and now i'm using the SMP. so thanks.
>
> On Mar 29, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> > How about an amd64 kernel?
>
> will they work on intel chips & boards? i had no idea.

depends on the Intel chip you are using.  If it's a dual core "Xeon"
branded chip it most likely has a 64bit capable instruction set.  I'm
willing to be you have a 5180,  or something similar.  If you use the
x86_64-SMP kernel/user-land you should be all set on both fronts.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright