[nycbug-talk] drive failure?

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Mon May 7 20:59:23 EDT 2007

Greetings all--

Last week a server that I've been preparing for colo went down.
Everything just stopped working, i was getting a ton of kernel
messages ( like below ) on the screen.

I tried rebooting, as I thought it could have been from too much
Postgres activity, and everything spiraled out of control.

I just shut it down because I had too much other work to do , and I
finallly got to it today.

On first bootup, it was the same thing.  I sinned and just pulled the
powercord, because screen messages kept a reboot from being entered.

I ran fsck on startup and got 3 stalls from bad block errors -- but
it seemed to clear stuff up. I did a real reboot, and the server is
up and running.

My question is this:  I just bought this 1 month ago.  I'm not too
knowledgeable with FreeBSD disk errors information -- does this look
to be a physical error ( ie, i make the vendor replace a drive ), or
does this look to be software based ?

thanks.

=============

Apr 28 14:37:24  kernel: ad12: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER
MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly

Apr 28 14:37:24  kernel: ad12: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE
taskqueue timeout - completing request directly

Apr 28 14:37:24  kernel: ad12: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout
- completing request directly

Apr 28 14:37:24  kernel: ad12: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=20542527

Apr 28 14:38:05  kernel: ad12: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=16789279