[nycbug-talk] drive failure?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon May 7 22:23:44 EDT 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007, George Rosamond wrote:

> On May 7, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>
>> Greetings all--
>>
>> My question is this:  I just bought this 1 month ago.  I'm not too
>> knowledgeable with FreeBSD disk errors information -- does this look
>> to be a physical error ( ie, i make the vendor replace a drive ), or
>> does this look to be software based ?
>>
>> Apr 28 14:37:24  kernel: ad12: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER
>> MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
>>
> From google and all. . . it could possibly be related to the
> hardware IRQs. .

I already deleted the original message so I'm adding my $0.02 here, but
one really quick thing to do to narrow this down is to install
smartmontools and get a reading on the SMART status of the drives in
question.  If they are reporting bad, case closed.  If not, then go on
your way - passing SMART does not always mean the drive is actually good.

You can also just boot the Seagate tools, they have a bootable ISO with
their SMART checking tools on them.  They also generally work on other
drives that support SMART.

Charles