[nycbug-talk] Fully managed datacenter for Freebsd servers

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Wed May 9 21:36:23 EDT 2007

Rackspace.  When I worked there they offered a bunch of FreeBSD
installation options and it was a fully supported OS under their
SLA.  I don't know if that's still the case, but it's likely, if not,
they'll always do a custom install for you, but the support SLA wont
be quite as good as with a "supported" OS.  Two things you'd like are
unlikely to be possible.  They do have TCP/IP KVMs, but they're for
internal support staff to get to remote machines, and last I heard,
they didn't do remote power cycling, but they will, almost
guaranteed, bounce a box or fix whatever's wrong with it before you
even know it's broken, unless you were working on something and broke
it.  In which case, you'd probably figure it out first.

Like I said, they're my former employer and I really can't speak
highly enough of them and the people they have, at least, as of two
years ago when I left.

--Dave