[nycbug-talk] Fully managed datacenter for Freebsd servers

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Sat May 12 20:57:15 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> There are cheap self-managed freebsd machines at
> http://serverpronto.com. Service has been good for me.  They do one
> reboot a month for free. Of course you can always reboot yourself.
> (not
> sure if that is different from power cycling?)

I split a box w/someone off serverpronto a few years ago -- i had to
quit.

Their prices are good, and if you're doing web-only, its great...

but they're in bad ip space.  real bad ip space.  so if you need to
send any email , you're completely screwed.

most blacklists have their whole network blocked, and have no desire
to change anything.

every major isp blocked the datacenter i was in, as did most OSS
systems.  i couldn't send any bounceback emails for website
registration and I couldn't do any smtp mailings for personal use.

personally, I would NEVER use a managed system.  self-managed +
powercycle should be all you need.   do you really want to give
someone else root on your machines ?