[nycbug-talk] lost root!

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:24:47 EDT 2007

On 5/14/07, Tom Rue <tomrue at gmail.com <//tomrue at gmail.com/>> wrote:

In fact, it doesn't appear to be booting into Single User mode, which may be
> the problem. Is there a way to confirm this, or around it?

Did it ask ask you for the shell path? If so and the path is correct you're
going to be in single user, s
o if subsequent commands don't work as intended, the error would lie
someplace else.

Also, are all your filesytems mounted or not? Moreover can you start a
virtual terminal?
I'd bet the answers are no and no, which would mean you are in single user.

> Any other suggestions on how I can get back in as root?

If you really are not dropping into single user, it might be worth checking
your permissions on /etc/ttys and /etc/rc.conf just to see if you might have
another way in.

hth,

Forest
NYNY