[nycbug-talk] IPv6 Followup

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Mon Nov 12 20:16:03 EST 2007

>>>>> "ap" == Alex Pilosov <alex at pilosoft.com> writes:

    ap> <snip> trust me, they exist now for v4, and nobody cares.

uh yeah, but the point is the only people remedial enough to want them
can't use them because these people have a single dynamic IP.  Nobody
cares because the people who can run them have better ways to do the
same thing.  And since each box would eat an IP, I don't have that
kind of v4 space to burn, so I wouldn't run them myself even if I
didn't dislike them.

with v6, this spurned class of device gets a crack at a newer,
less-sophisticated, and larger audience.

    ap> ips will not be global and static. more myths. you will not
    ap> have a portable and permanently assigned IP address.

    ap> You cannot have permanent and portable v4 or v6 address.

Current jabber servers don't need PI-portable space to run, either.
That's what DNS is for.

    ap> If you want static IP (non-portable) you can do it just as
    ap> well with v4 as with v6. No real difference.

yes good point.  Just having static v4 addresses like your ADSL,
instead of dynamic, for typical home accounts would permit lots of
things we can't do now.  but:

 (1) there's a question, which box gets the static IP?  Generally it's
     some SOHO router.  With v6, the box on which gaim is running can
     have a static global IP.

     Yes, I know, the IP changes when you change ISP's.  but not
     unexpectedly and not daily/weekly.

 (2) the hope is, aside from DoCoMo, most ISP's won't bother forcing
     end systems onto dynamic addresses.  It's hard because:

     (a) it's not working super well to have an address changing
         ~daily with the stateless autoconfig mechanism.  They could
         maybe set pltime very low, though.

     (b) because now that the prefix on the wire is changing it'll
         screw up noticeable things like local file and printer
         sharing when your prefix changes.  There's some support for
         keeping alive old TCP circuits on a ``deprecated'' prefix if
         they leave vltime set to something long, but I bet it won't
         work well.

yeah, you're right, IPv6 is only _needed_ for (1).  But I started out
saying ``here are some reasons big ISP's may want to keep IPv6 out of
homes as long as possible.''  (2) is such a reason---if they can't get
their dynamic address garbage to work, they might not like giving any
kind of static address, even a v6 one.

I hadn't considered they might give out dynamic v6 prefixes.  I guess
that's worth worrying about.

--
READ CAREFULLY. By reading this fortune, you agree, on behalf of your employer,
to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all