[nycbug-talk] Asus eeePC First Impressions

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Thu Nov 22 23:06:42 EST 2007

Greetings-

I was wandering around the internet and I found this blog post about
a persons first impressions on the eeePC, which we have talked about on
this list a few times.

http://tinyurl.com/2lx4es

In a nutshell, the machine ships with some proprietary hardware, and to get
the wireless to work you need to use ndiswrapper.

In addition, the acpi module that they shipped is a modified version of
the asus_acpi kernel module from Linux 2.6.21.4. Asus apparently has not made
the source available, which is a violation of the GPL

I was planning on picking up one of these, but now that the retail price is
$399, combined with the fact that it doesn't look like you'll be able to
get BSD fully working on it, I think I am going to pass

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer