[nycbug-talk] of course you've all seen this already...

Alex Pilosov alex at pilosoft.com
Mon Nov 26 16:13:19 EST 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> > Apples to apples, please. security-branch upgrades should be compared
> > to RPM upgrades in security branch (ie. same underlying package, like
> > going from net-snmp-3.3-1 to net-snmp-3.3-2). Those upgrades don't
> > really count.
>
> No.  You are talking about added applications.  FreeBSD is an OS, not a
> collection of random pkgs+kernel.
Whichever. If you talk about security upgrades, they are painless on any
OS. If you are talking about wholesale upgrades (moving from fedora 1 to
fedora 6 vs fbsd 5 to 6 to give approximately similar date range), they
are painful.

> I don't get all the "pain" though, and this comes from someone that's
> been doing a bunch of source upgrades from 4.11 to 6.2.  Maybe I'm just
> a lot better at this than I thought I was.
Sure, once you do it the first time, its much easier - but same applies to
RPM case just as well. But, the original point stands, once you started on
the upgrade, shit breaks, there's no turning back and you usually just
want to get system back into operation.

-alex