[nycbug-talk] Safety Expansion for FreeBSD rm(1)

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Mon Oct 1 11:40:53 EDT 2007

Greetings-

I am reading through the freebsd-current mailing list and I stumbled upon a
proposed patch that I thought was rather interesting

Basically, is a patch to rm that first reads ~/.rm before actually removing
anything to make sure that what you are trying to delete isn't "protected"

Example, if I did rm -rf ~ /bin (when I really wanted ~/bin) it would check
to make sure that /bin and ~ are allowed to be removed.

I am kinda on the fence about this, but think it could be a useful way to
protect yourself from yourself

Project Page: http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/safety-rm/
eMail thread on freebsd-current: http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-current&m=119072708632143&w=2

What do you think?