[nycbug-talk] Safety Expansion for FreeBSD rm(1)

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Mon Oct 1 21:16:43 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:23:44PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     sk> rm that first reads ~/.rm before actually removing anything to
>     sk> make sure that what you are trying to delete isn't "protected"
>
> next you will want to replace vi with vim.

Th .kshrc file that follows me from machine to machine checks to see if
vim is installed, and if it is, uses it.

The reason I use vim is because it works just like vi but at the same time
has features and shortcuts that make what I want to do easier and quicker
to acomplish.

Having a rm that first checks to make sure what you are doing is really what
you want to do is kinda the same principle as using vim. Allow me to
accomplish what I am think i wanted to do quicker and faster. (In case this,
its quicker because I don't have to restore /bin)

Like I said, it is an interesting patch to rm that I can see being
extremenly useful in situations, but at the same time, it seems like
it is breaking some unwritten unix law

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer