[nycbug-talk] defcon 15 videos on line

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Thu Oct 4 22:11:44 EDT 2007

>>>>> "il" == Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> writes:

    il> Well, the practical reality of it is that it is HARD to do
    il> full-blown video for a conference.  Shooting is easy,
    il> post-production is hard- and they charge for the disks...

FWIW, I think the Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin always has
videos online and free a few months after the conference.  The videos
have reasonable quality and sound.  And it's completely un-DRMed in a
Linux-friendly format (albeit two years ago it was H.264 which is too
new/high-CPU for my xbox), and on an FTP site and/or bittorrent, not
some AOLeet streaming thing.  Like Defcon, the C3 is well-attended and
not complaining about finances.

mrmcd gives out free videos, too, but at least for mrmcd101b last year
the codec wasn't as fancy as C3.  It was some .mov file, and I could
only play some of them, not all, and I couldn't play my own talk
though I got a copy.  It was via FTP and torrent, not streaming DRM.

The talk I gave at Hope Six was recorded on some real-time DVD burner
that works like a VCR, and then they just copy the DVD in those
massive disk duplicator towers, so there isn't really any
post-production for that.  But, yeah, I'm sure for CCC where they
actually do deliver things over Internet instead of just through the
mail, there must be a big encoding step with lots of arguing about
which codec to use.