[nycbug-talk] Good unmanaged switch brands

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Thu Oct 11 17:33:51 EDT 2007

I'm looking at buying 4 or 5 8-16 port unmanaged switches for setting up
shared satellite internet access in Iraq and I was wondering if people
had any preferred brands.  The switches themselves will be in air
conditioned living areas so heat should not be a problem.  There is 110
and 220 available but dual power capable is still preferred.

I'll be honest, my main concern is price but I do still want something
reasonably reliable with a decent warranty if possible.  The desktop 8
port switches actually seem to have the best price per port and I am
leaning towards more smaller switches to save on cable run lengths.

I just saw this [1] on Newegg, 24 port managed switch but open box for
$206.  Anyone ever do open box from Newegg, is this something worth
buying?  Browsing some more they seem to have quite a few open box high
port count switches, here is the search link I was using [2]

Thank you,
Jonathan Stewart

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111491R
[2] http://tinyurl.com/3a68e8