[nycbug-talk] Good unmanaged switch brands

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Thu Oct 11 23:28:46 EDT 2007

tim jacques wrote:
 > On 10/11/07, Jonathan Stewart <jonathan at kc8onw.net> wrote:
 >> I also forgot to note I do want to run gigabit even though I know it
 >> will cost a good bit more :P
 >>
 >> Jonathan
 >
 > What is the throughput of the satellite link ?
 >
 > I'll assume under three MB./s.
 >
 > It won't even challenge 100 MB./s.
 > Unless its to access a local server , You will not see a benefit from
 > gigabit.
 >
 > Tim ..

My media server is functioning as the gateway so there is a local server
involved as well. I'm also trying to "buy for the future" as I've dealt
with more 10mbit LANs on old switches visiting people than I really ever
wanted to.  It takes a hell of a long time to copy 100+ GB over 10mbit
ethernet :P

Jonathan