[nycbug-talk] For and Against IPv6

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:59:02 EDT 2007

I don't know lick about what is required for ipv6 on the backbone. But
at the consumer level, I see plenty of organizations that need secure
interfaces to their websites. They would see immediate benefit from
the allegedly promised easy availability of IP addresses.

I see people concerned about air and water quality in New York City
who would benefit from being able to deploy hundreds of thousands of
addressable sensors around the city.

I see schools, hospitals, and other internal distributors of large
amounts of information who would benefit from multicasting.

All of these things can be done using the existing network. It is my
impression that all of them would be much easier on an upgraded
network. Maybe that's misguided, but even if those things are
_incrementally_ easier it will have a tremendous impact on millions of
people.

I don't really care if there's a commercial case or not. There are
plenty of non-commercial use-cases for IPv6, and that makes me think
that we have a mandate to figure out how to make it happen.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/