[nycbug-talk] DragonFly HAMMER filessytem

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Oct 15 12:18:47 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:44:45AM -0400, Yarema wrote:
> Ike,
>
> I've gathered you like the ZFS implementation in FreeBSD.
> Check out Matt Dillon's HAMMER filesystem design document:
> http://Leaf.DragonFlyBSD.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-10/msg00006.html
> ... and why he why he chose not to use Sun's ZFS:
> http://Leaf.DragonFlyBSD.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-10/msg00008.html
>
> Anyway the December release of DragonFly 2.0 should have a usable HAMMER
> fs.  Should be fun having two kick ass filesystems coming out in BSDs next
> year.

yea this is really exciting!  i think matt hit's the nail on the head
here (wow that's a bad pun) having hammer focus on his clustering goals.
I see ZFS as being a great candidate for SAN/NAS solutions - with alot
of nice features for jail's etc.

hammer seems to be addressing another very important niche - a well
written clustered filesystem.  execellent!

thanks for the heads up!

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~