[nycbug-talk] new Asus ultraportables

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Oct 16 20:34:18 EDT 2007

Yarema wrote:
> --On Friday, September 07, 2007 22:21:15 -0400 Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> BTW- Lee in midtown said late-month availability on the first
>> models...  I want the cheapest model, small screen and all.
>
> The were officially announced today:
>
> http://EeePC.ASUS.com/en/product.htm
>
> Last I heard they will be sold through BestBuy and NewEgg.
> http://www.DailyTech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9268
>
> Dunno about *retail* pricing, but looks to be higher than $200 we first
> hoped for.
> The 8G looks nice with 1G RAM...

I have been following the wiki and the unofficial sites on the EEE, plus
hassling a vendor on it.

Some off-list discussions I've had on it have started with others going
"why?" or "who cares?"

But I think there's a number of reasons why these EEEs will be cool.

First, low power consumption, a la the client version of a Soekris box.

Second, for those who can sacrifice power for physical portability, this
will work nice even as a non-X laptop.  I've given up dragging around
any laptops as I've aged, even at 4.5 lbs. :-(

And as they are not the overpriced UMPC-land product, they are a bit of
a step up from the OLPC world stuff. . .

I have not seen anything on the hardware/chipsets?  Are there device
drivers for the BSDs for them?  Are they cool vendors who provide the
documentation?

George