[nycbug-talk] Can RTSP and dumb switches coexist?

jonathan at kc8onw.net jonathan at kc8onw.net
Thu Oct 18 14:30:23 EDT 2007

On Thu, October 18, 2007 2:10 am, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> a) I suppose you mean RSTP (rapid spanning tree protocol). RTSP is voip
> blah.

Yep, don't know how I did that one.

> b) dumb switches *must* comply with 802.1d (the STP protocol) anyway. RSTP
> is backward compatible (theoretically), and it should (theoretically) work
> fine, with loops or without.

This is good enough for me for the time being, the "RSTP switch(es)" would
actually be one or two BSD systems and it would be a simple ring network
just in case a wire is cut by a truck rolling through the area or someone
knocks a plug loose etc.  Iraq is a crazy place to run a satellite
internet access network and I'm just trying to avoid people waking me up
all the time.  If something goes wrong with RSTP I can also just yank the
redundant link and not worry about it.

The rest of your message was quite enlightening though and something I
will definately keep in mind if I'm ever involved with a network that
large.

Jonathan