[nycbug-talk] new bruteforcing. . .

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Oct 22 15:30:45 EDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, George Rosamond wrote:

> I noticed this happening to some of our boxes last night while tailing
> some logs:
>
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3529
>
> Anyone else notice this going on?

I saw more in my logs on the few boxes open to the world, but pf is nuking
them nicely after a few tries (and we don't allow non-key logins anyhow).

One mystery though with the old scanner bots that I never figured out was
what is the deal with "fluffy"??

Oct 12 07:57:18 miko sshd[99893]: Invalid user fluffy from 87.30.69.11
Oct 16 08:01:32 miko sshd[41118]: Invalid user fluffy from 121.162.217.27

I understand "root", "admin", "staff", etc.  But fluffy??

Charles