[nycbug-talk] IPv6 on OpenWRT notes

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at exit2shell.com
Thu Oct 25 00:16:34 EDT 2007

Greetings-

While this is not related to BSD at all, I have been experimenting with IPv6
since the last meeting. I finally have a fully functional tunnel up, with
wireless clients on the LAN getting handed IPv6 addresses when they connect.

I started to write up all my notes and hopefully someone will find them useful.

It details setting up a cheap Linksys WRT54G router running OpenWRT with
IPv6 support. Since you can pick these things used for 30 bucks, its a great
platform to start playing with. (For those who are unaware, the WRT54G's
original firmware is based on Linux. Because of the GPL, they had to provide
the source. As a result, tons of custom firmwares have popped up which allow
you to pretty much do the same things you can  do on the expensive enterprise
routers)

The article is still a work in progress, so if you notice any mistakes or
would like me to expand on anything, please let me know

http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer/openwrt-ipv6.html

Hopefully after you follow those instructions, you should end up with
something that looks like this

http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer/ipv6.png

I would like to thank Gene Cronk for both giving an incredible talk and also
for pointing out the stupid mistake I was making when I was trying to get
clients on my LAN to route outside.

In addition, I also want to thank michael for the original design of the page.
(I took his Xen Garden article and used that as a template since I have no
design skill what so ever. Hope he doesn't get mad)

If you get a tunnel up, post to the list and let us know what your
experience was like

--
Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer