[nycbug-talk] ibook repair shops

Andy Michaels lego at therac25.net
Wed Oct 31 11:09:28 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, nikolai wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> [sorry, not directly BSD-related]
>>
>> Can anybody recommend repair shop in
>> lower Manhattan for fixing G3 iBook?

if it's a HDD issue, or RAM, fix it yourself: http://www.ifixit.com
and check out their guides.  iBooks are a little hairy, but having someone
do it for you will cost more than you'll like.  After all, that machine is
worth probably around $200?

>> I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem,
>> but don't have time to learn/fuss with
>> it myself. The only one I found is
>> Portatronics - anybody used them?

never heard of them.

> All I know of is Tekserve:  http://www.tekserve.com/

never had good luck with Tekserve.

> There are a few common problems with the G3 iBooks, including a bad design
> that causes the video chip to come a bit loose with flexing of the case.
> Symptom is garbled video that can be altered by pushing on the bottom of
> the case.
>
> What are the symptoms?  If it's the mainboard, you're looking at some
> serious cash...

yeah, at this point, it'd be wiser to just buy a new laptop.  Mainboard
will cost more than the machine is worth.  Same for the screen.

> Charles
>
>> Pointers much appreciated.
>> --
>> Nikolai