[nycbug-talk] booting FreeBSD v6.2

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Sun Sep 2 17:29:12 EDT 2007

> This is the console output:
> FreeBSD/i386 boot
> default: 0;ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel

J:

Gotta love how this stuff still happens in 2007, huh>

What we need to do is validate that the BIOS of your motherboard is
mapping device at 0x80 to what FreeBSD later interprets to be "ad4".

The 1st and 2nd stage boot loader isn't going to know anything about
kernel device names.

We know because the 1st stage loader is starting that the BIOS is picking
the correct physical drive to read the MBR from.

Break out of the boot loader and send us the output of:

 	lsdev -v
 	boot-conf
 	show

Also, we can find out what changed in loader(8) on AMD64 pretty easily
between 6.0 and 6.2 using CVS.

~~BAS